If you find an injured, sick or orphaned wild animal, contact a wildlife rehabilitation centre that can provide specialized and immediate medical care. If you must handle the animal, wear protective clothing and equipment such as leather gloves to avoid bites or scratches and wash your hands well after handling the animal.

Consult our list of wildlife rehabilitation centres below. This list is not exhaustive.
Province-wide: Alberta Society for Injured Birds of Prey
Tel: 780-922-3024
E-mail: asibp@tic.ab.ca

Calgary: Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society (CWRS)
Tel: 403-239-2488
E-mail: calgaryw@telus.net
Web: www.calgarywildlife.org

Cochrane: Cochrane Ecological Institute – Cochrane Wildlife Reserve
Tel: 403-932-5632
E-mail: cei@nucleus.com
Web: www.ceinst.org
Accept migratory/ song birds, as well as terrestrial wildlife ranging from small to large mammals, native amphibians, and avian wildlife.

Edmonton: Wildlife Rehabilitation Society of Edmonton
Tel: 780-914-4118
E-mail: WRSE@oanet.com
Web: www.wildlife-edm.ca
Accept all species of birds and small mammals, excluding adult skunks (babies are accepted), bats, pigeons, larger mammals such as deer, moose, etc. [/one_half] [one_half_last]

Lethbridge area: Coaldale Rehabilitation Centre
Tel: 403-345-4262
Email: info@burrowingowl.com
Web: www.burrowingowl.com/about/contact.php
Specializing in Raptors, do not accept migratory/ song birds, or other types of animals. Can provide contact information. Provide environmental learning sessions from May 10 to September 10.

Red Deer: Medicine River Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
Tel: 403-728-3467
E-mail: info@mrwc.ca
Web: www.medicineriverwildlifecentre.ca
Accept migratory/ songbirds, raptors, all wildlife from the area.

British Columbia
Province-wide: Wildlife Rehabilitators Network of British Columbia
Tel: 250-847-5101
E-mail: info@wrnbc.org

Abbotsford: Elizabeth’s Wildlife Centre Society
Tel: 604-852-9173
E-mail: elizmelnick@shaw.ca
*Use phone number for emergencies*
Web: www.elizabethswildlifecenter.org
Accept (specialize in) migratory/ song birds as well as small mammals (squirrels, possums, rabbits)

Courtenay: Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society
Tel: 250-337-2021
Email: mars@wingtips.org
Web: www.wingtips.org
Accept migratory/ songbirds. Accept deer during the summer, other wildlife is accepted for transport.

Delta: O.W.L. Rehab Society
Tel: 604-946-3171
E-mail: owlrehab@dccnet.com
Web: www.owlcanada.org
Birds of prey only, no migratory/ songbirds (only dead ones to be used as food).

Langley: Critter Care Wildlife Society
Tel: 604-530-2064
E-mail: crittercare1@shaw.ca
Web: www.crittercarewildlife.org/index.php
Rehabilitate native animals ranging from squirrels to black bear cubs. Do not accept birds.

Prince Rupert: Prince Rupert Wildlife Rehab Shelter
Tel: 250-624-4159
E-mail: wildlife@citytel.net
Web: www.prwildlifeshelter.org/
This location accepts migratory/song birds as well as all other types of wildlife.

Vancouver: Marine Mammal Rescue, Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre
Tel: 604-258-SEAL (7325)
E-mail: rescue@vanaqua.org
Web: www.vanaqua.org/
Only marine mammals and sea turtles accepted at this location

Victoria: BC SPCA Wild Arc – Wild Animal Rehabilitation Centre
Tel: 250-478-9453
E-mail: info@wildarc.com
Web: www.spca.bc.ca/branches/wild-arc/
Accepts migratory/ song birds, as well as mammals, reptiles and amphibians. Able to treat native and non-native species, with the exception of predatory species (bears, cougars, wolves).

Winnipeg: Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
Tel: 204-510-1855
email: pwrcentre@gmail.com
Web: www.pwildlife.ca
This location accepts all species of birds including migratory/ song birds, as well as reptiles, and small to medium sized mammals (excluding deer, skunks, and raccoons).Winnipeg: The Wildlife Haven Rehabilitation Centre
Tel: 204-878-3740
email: info@wildlifehaven.ca
Web: www.wildlifehaven.ca
This location receives approximately 1700 animals each year. The Centre is equipped to handle all avian species, including large birds of prey and herons, as well as most native Manitoba mammals.

New Brunswick
Moncton: Greater Moncton SPCA
Tel: (506) 857-8698
Email: Nanette@monctonspca.ca
Web: www.monctonspca.ca/
House wildlife and transfer to rehabilitation centre.

Sackville: Atlantic Wildlife Institute
Tel: (506) 364-1902
E-mail: awi@xplornet.com
Web: atlanticwildlife.ca
Accept migratory/ songbirds, all species of wildlife including species at risk.

Nova Scotia
Colchester county (Hilden): Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Center
Tel: 902 893-0253
E-mail: cwrc@cwrc.net
Web: cwrc.net/cms/wp/
This location accepts all bird species including migratory/ songbirds, as well as small mammals, reptiles, and amphibians.

Seaforth: Hope for Wildlife Society
Tel: 902-407-WILD(9453)
E-mail: info@hopeforwildlife.net
Web: www.hopeforwildlife.net/
They accept all native Nova Scotia wildlife, including migratory/ songbirds.

Shubenacadie Provincial Wildlife Park
Tel: (902) 758-2040
E-mail: visserbj@gov.ns.ca
Web: wildlifepark.gov.ns.ca
This location accepts all indigenous wildlife as well as migratory/ songbirds.

Province of Ontario: Ontario Wildlife Rescue
Tel: 416-436-9892
Email: info@ontariowildliferescue.ca
Web: www.ontariowildliferescue.ca/

Kitchener-Waterloo: Turtle Haven
Tel: 519-745-4334
Email: uros@sympatico.ca
Web: www.turtlehaven.ca/
Focus on native turtles. Possesses a list of wildlife custodians in the Waterloo Region that will accept migratory/ songbirds.

Ottawa: Wild Bird Care Centre
Tel: 613-828-2849
Email: mojo@wildbirdcarecentre.org
Web: www.wildbirdcarecentre.org/
This location accepts all species of birds including raptors, waterfowl, and migratory/ songbirds.

Ottawa County (North Gower): Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
Tel: 613-258-9480
E-mail: rideauwildlife@ripnet.com
Web: www.rideauwildlife.org/
Accept wild mammals and turtles.

Peterborough County: Ontario Turtle Conservation Centre
Tel: 705-741-5000
E-mail: info@ontarioturtle.ca
Web: https://ontarioturtle.ca/
Only turtles accepted.

Rockwood: SOAR – Songbirds Only Avian Rehabilitation
Tel: 519-856-4510
E-mail: drake@sentex.net
Web: soar-southernontario.org/
Only migratory/ songbirds accepted.

Toronto: Toronto Wildlife Centre
Tel: 416-631-0662
Web: www.torontowildlifecentre.com/

Utterson: A Wing And A Prayer, Muskoka Centre for Wild Birds
Tel: 705-385-1488
Accept all species of birds, as well as migratory/ songbirds. Can refer mammals and other wildlife to regional wildlife centres.

Windsor: Erie Wildlife Rescue, Inc.
Tel: 519-969-3919
Email: ewr@bellnet.ca
Web: www.eriewildliferescue.ca/
Accept all native species to the region, as well as migratory/ songbirds.

Montreal: Urban Animal Advocates, Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre
Tel: 514-366-9965
Email: urbananimaladvocates@hotmail.com
Web: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Urban-Animal-Advocates/356366047798288?sk=info
Leave message, they will return call. Specialize in non-birds (mammals, reptiles, etc) with the exception of Pigeons. Contact le Nichoir for songbirds.

Southwest region, Montérégie (Hudson): Le Nichoir Bird Rehabilitation Centre
Tel: 450-458-2809
Web: lenichoir.org/
Accept birds, as well as migratory/ songbirds

Province of Saskatchewan: Wildlife Rehabilitation Society of Saskatchewan

Tel: 306-242-7177
Email: info@wrsos.org
Web: www.wrsos.org

Moose Jaw: Saskatchewan Burrowing Owl Interpretive Centre
Tel: 306-692-8710
E-mail: sboic@sasktel.net
Web: www.skburrowingowl.ca/
This is not a rehabilitation centre, but an educational centre. They will accept burrowing owls for rehabilitation only.

Whitehorse: Yukon Wildlife Preserve
Tel: 867-456-7328
Web: www.yukonwildlife.ca/
Not sure if an animal is sick, injured or orphaned?
Sick or injured animals will often show these signs:

Blood, wounds or swelling on the body
Lethargy or coldness to the touch
Body covered in fleas
Unusual or uneven loss of fur or feathers
Vocalizing and/or following humans around
A fawn that is wandering around
Contact with a domestic cat
Difficult or raspy breathing or sneezing
A dangling appendage
Closed eyes
Head tucked under wing
Just because a young animal is alone does not mean it is orphaned. It is normal for some species to leave their offspring temporarily alone, especially during the day. For example, deer and cottontail rabbits spend much of the day away from their well-camouflaged offspring to minimize the chance of predators finding them.To determine if young wildlife is truly orphaned:

Check the animal periodically for 24 to 48 hours to see if it is still around, but keep your distance.
Keep cats and dogs away from the area where the young animal is; the adult will not return if it is noisy or if predators or people are close by.
Please keep in mind that juvenile wild animals do not make good pets because they become difficult to handle as they grow. Once used to humans, released animals are not likely to survive in the wild because they do not have the necessary skills to stay alive. They may also be attracted to people, which may lead to their premature death. Wild animals can also be attracted to properties that provide shelter and/or food, resulting in conflict and property damage.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here